Saturday, September 05, 2009

Inglourious Basterds

This is a violent film, and there are some scenes I could not bear to watch.  I would not have chosen to see it, but David wanted me to go with him as he saw it a second time.
I was very impressed.  I enjoyed it from the first scene. There was the rolling French countryside, and an unwelcome visit from German soldiers to an isolated farm.  The tension between the family, polite respectful, but wary, and the German officer, full of charm but observant, was wonderfully portrayed.
The group of American soldiers, which gives the film its name, also gave the most gruesome scenes, but the best part of the story lay elsewhere.  A German war hero, an English officer, a German actress, and a Jewish cinema owner had the most engaging parts of the story, and also gave what I think were the best performances. (Sorry Brad).
Look elsewhere for historical accuracy. You will not find that here. But it was a cracking yarn, well presented.

No comments: