Monday, May 17, 2010

Weekend Sailing at Killington

Another Great Weekend Sailing at Killington.
I did not want to capsize on Saturday, not least because I was not wearing a wetsuit, in solidarity with my crew, who joined me on the spur of the moment that morning.  Rod, a volunteer with Cockermouth mountain rescue, a keen walker, rock climber and trail cyclist, is particularly sensitive to sloping floors, does not like the movement on ferries, and rarely if ever sails, but he chose to join me on Saturday. I am pleased to say that we did not get wet.
I am grateful to Pete Lawson who showed me how to reef the sail, and even with the reef we still managed a good turn of speed in the blustery conditions. Rod was a great crew, alert and responsive to the need to move about the boat.  He also managed to take a few pictures.
On Sunday I was quite happy to capsize, and took out the club RS Feva. Again I was grateful to Pete for showing me how to rig it. Definitely more tippy than the Wayfarer, it felt very precarious for the first half an hour.   I was glad that it did not blow up as strong as it looked it might, and glad to get used to the boat with a single sail.  As to how easy it is to recover after a capsize, that I will find out another time.

I had lunch with Pete and the couple from Edinburgh who were learning on the timber decked Seafly he was selling to them.  Just before lunch I had set off from the jetty to bring the Feva round to the slipway, as Pete was going to use it in the afternoon, so they could each sail a different boat single handed.  He used my example of how not to do it to teach us all how to get out of irons.
There was just a short session after a late lunch, and I had a brief sail in the Wayfarer before packing it away ready for next time.

No comments: