Saturday, June 26, 2010

Killington & Windermere

Last Saturday was very windy, force 3-4 with stronger gusts.  So I went out in an RS Feva, one of the club craft at Killington, rather than risk capsizing the Wayfarer, which is easy enough to recover, but a pain to empty of water afterwards.  I nearly went in the Pico, as there were two lads preparing to take the Feva out, but in the time it took me to get changed, they had launched, capsized, floundered, been recovered, and were packing up.  They were just about to take it back to the berth when I asked them to leave it there for me.
It was a while before I got out on the water, as I wanted to have the mainsail only, and there was no forestay, and it was only the jib acting as the third stay.   Thanks got to Miles and Paul for sorting this out for me. Killington is indeed a very friendly and supportive sailing club.
Pete was there as well, but he was OOD (Officer of the day) for a series of Miracle Dinghy races.  Miracles are a little like Mirrors, but bigger, and they seem to have most of the advantages of a Wayfarer, except for cruising, where there was less storage space, but lighter and with transom flaps, making for easier emptying after a capsize.  All of them were timber, or at least timber decked, but I am told there are GRP ones as well.  There were a couple of boats still on trolleys in the car park, as the owners had looked at the wind conditions and decided not to go out in them.  During the day I met Ian & Geraldine for the first time, Ian is the membership secretary, and Lydia another committee member (I think) who was helping Pete.  I missed being sociable when the racers were having their lunch break, as I had only just got out on the water by then
The sailing was great.  The wind had probably dropped a little, but it was still quite strong and very gusty, providing quite a bit of excitement. For all the Feva feels more tippy than the wayfarer, it felt very secure in the gusts, with time to sheet out or turn to the wind to control the heeling, with no sense of being out of control.  I have yet to discover how easy it is to right a capsize.  What I did struggle with twice was being late straightening the boat after a turn, and continue to pivot round. I certainly got knocked on the head at one stage after going about, when it continued turning and the boat jibed.
After lunch the wind eased and I went out with the Jib as well.  More thanks to Miles and Paul again. Altogether a great day.

Sunday was much more relaxed, and Rod who had sailed with me in May joined me again. When we got to Killington, it was a pleasant surprise to see Dave waiting for me, as I had not been on facebook on Saturday to see his message. We decided to go to Bowness, to sail in his Wildfire on Windermere, which was a very different experience.  Windermere is a beautiful lake, and was at its best in the bright sunshine we enjoyed on Sunday.
The boat took a bit of time to set up, and when the mainsail would not reach the top of the mast we decided to put a reef in rather than spend further time trying to right the problem.  Dave kindly let me helm to start with, and we made our way upwind to the South getting past Storrs Hotel before turning back, and then eating our lunch while sailing downwind.
The Windfire has a good turn of speed, which was especially evident every time we got some slightly stronger wind, and even with the reef in we kept up credibly well with the handful of yaughts that were out and about and under sail.  Rod, who was sat at the front, did find that the water was splashing over the bows when the wind grew stronger and we were sailing upwind.
One feature of the Wildfire is that it would be very easy to sail single handed. The jib sheets run along way back, and are in easy reach of the helm.  Dave did a much better job of keeping out of my way than I managed to do when he took over the helm, and after a while I joined Rod sitting in the front.
By Sunday afternoon we were by no means the only dinghy on the water as we seemed to be in the morning.  There was a whole fleet of dinghies from nearby club out enjoying Windermere at its best. What a great way to enjoy a beautiful Sunday afternoon.  Thanks Dave, for a great day.

No comments: