Sunday, July 25, 2010

Combi-Trailer

I had a great afternoon yesterday sailing the Wayfarer single handed in a force 3 wind at Killington. The boat zipped along very nicely, and I had no idea that 2 hours had passed when I came into to sort the problem with the goose-neck.
I went up simply to swap the boat from the original trailer onto a second hand combi trailer I had bought. Pete Lawson was teaching a level 2 safety boat course, so it was quite comforting to know that there was a safety boat on hand. They were the only other people there when I arrived, although a couple arrived after me and took out their Enterprise later on.
When Pete had finished teaching, he showed me how to attach the launching trolley to a tow bar, which makes it easier to get up the ramp, and how to load the launching trolley on the road trailer. I may leave it off the road trailer most of the time, as it was a little awkward.
We also ran through the procedure for taking the mast down. 1. Make the boat level, 2. undo the side shrouds, 3. undo forestay keeping it tight until you can get in and hold the mast, 4. secure the stays to the mast with tape, 5. lift the mast and place it on the ground, 6. hold it vertical against the side of the boat as you get out, 7. hold the bottom in place with a foot as you lower it to horizontal. It is easier with two people at 3 5 6 & 7.

No comments: