Saturday, November 06, 2010

HTC Desire Again

Tuesday Morning Leaves
So, what our my impressions of the HTC Desire a few weeks on?
We have annoyances, disaster, confusion, and a good experience.
Annoyances
Wednesday Morning Rose
The main annoyance is with the keyboard, hitting the wrong key.  I have sent text messages before I finished them, and cancelled entries without trying. The software helps, and corrects obvious mis-keys, but instead of offering corrections, it automatically makes the highlighted correction, so you type palmhouse but get farmhouse. It might help to have a prompt to save when you switch away from a partially entered contact or diary item. It is not good that the keyboard hides the save button, so you need to scroll down or hide the keyboard to find it, but it is worse still when it does not hide the save and cancel buttons, and they get overlaid by the typing correction offerings. If you miss one of these and hit cancel by mistake, it can be quite annoying.
Thursday Morning Rudbeckia
Disaster
After a few days there was an update to the system software that you could download and install, from 2.1 to 2.2. After I did this the WiFi stopped working and the installed programs were lost. HTC explained was because it was not a UK unit, but supplied for T-Mobile in Germany, so the company that supplied it agreed to replace it with a UK version. It was still good for calls and texts, and I could have reinstalled the lost apps using mobile broadband, but instead I reverted to my old Motorola KRZR.  (I bought this cheap on Ebay, and all the spelling prompts were - German).
Eventually the new unit came and all is well.
Friday Morning Nasturtium
Confusion
The calendar and contacts will synch with a PC, to Windows calendar and address book on my Vista PC, as well as Outlook.  They will also synch with Google calendar and mail contacts.
But it will not de-duplicate them. Instead it retains to independent records, which you can link so that they appear as one on the list.  Then when you create or edit a contact, you have a choice whether to edit the PC synch record or the Google record.
You can synch with two different PCs but it does not distinguish between them. So it is that I ended up with all my personal contacts on my work PC, and half my diary on my PC and half on Google calendar. Confusion or what?
Saturday Morning Beech Tree
I am now very happy, and I knew how I wanted to set up the new device when it arrived. You can choose in Contacts and Calendar which data sets you want to view at any time. PC synch is my work calendar and contacts, and Google is my personal ones.
A Good Experience
So now I am happy. I have my work and personal calendars in the same place, and I can choose which to view or both. Similarly with contacts.
I have a bible, to-do list, Amazon Kindle. I have started using imap for personal email, so what I delete on the mobile never gets downloaded to the PC. Who knows, I may even do the same for work email, but then, I did choose not to opt for a blackberry.
Possibly best of all, between finishing breakfast and getting out of range of the home WiFi, I have taken a picture and posted it to Facebook for the last five days.

No comments: