Saturday, February 26, 2011

Scout Scar

Last Saturday I walked at Scout Scar, near Kendal.

It must be a great walk in good weather, with wonderful views, south as far as Arnside, and across the the fells on either side of Windermere. The snow on the hills to the North looked very enticing, but the rest of the view looked more eerie in the low cloud and mist.



It is very spectacular, the path runs along the cliff top, with gently sloping access land to the west, and a sharp drop to the East.
It is a very easy walk, just five minutes out of Kendal on the road to Underbarrow, there is a car park on the right, with a path leading to the left.  Because you start at the top of the ridge, there is no great climb before you are rewarded with great views.
I drove past the spot at first, and off to the right where I found a nice spot to eat my lunch in the car with a view of the Scar through the one window and of a waterfall in the other window.


Part way along the scar is a path that leads down to a farm at the foot of the cliff, which I took and walked on  to the village of Brigsteer.
This was a pleasant walk through a wooded area.
I did not look round the village but walked up a steep road to get back onto the access land at the cliff top again.  The road took me past signs to a church and a viewpoint, which I would have taken, if I had more time.
There were cattle grazing on the access land, but they seemed fairly unperturbed by my presence.  There are lots of paths across the land, but the only one marked took me to the foot of the cliff and up the route I had come down previously. I avoided that but did get tangled finding a style to cross the wall that runs right across the south end of the access land.
The weather had brightened up a bit by now, and the views were looking a little more inviting.

No comments: