Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Winder Hill & Killington

I went up Winder Hill by Sedbergh ten days ago. I had forgotten to pack my walking boots, but my trainers were up to the task.

It was a gentle day. The second hand bookshop in Carnforth is good for maps, as the 4 lake district ones do not cover Sedbergh and the Howgills. I enjoyed a leisurely cup of coffee and Carnforth station, and considered a gentle walk along the Lune, but there was no very obvious place to park along the road from the M6 to Sedbergh.  I drove North of Sedbergh and enjoyed some great views over the river the Lune valley from the road up to Howgill, and then returned back to the centre of Sedbergh as there was no obvious place to park on the Howgill road either.
Winder Hill is access land, which means you can wander wherever, but the route up is marked by a closely cut grass path. Three paths meet at the top, two ascending from either side and one leading North to Bram Rigg and the Calf.  There are no rocky outcrops here, it is all grassy hills and valleys, with a gentle beauty.
There is a great view of the town of Sedbergh, which sits in a lush valley that widens out to the West to join the Lune valley running from North to South.  Looking East, you can pick out the Rawthey valley leading to Kirkby Stephen, the Gardsdale valley, leading to Wensleydale and Yorkshire, and the Dee valley, leading to Dentdale.
At the top, I saw a  group of two or three people a mile or so away to the North, but apart from that I did not meet anyone from leaving the road until rejoining it. Stopping on a bench to eat an apple, I did get overtaken by two walkers, they were part of a walking group from a church in Formby.
From the top I could see Morecambe Bay, and a little nearer, Killington Lake, but I could not see that anyone was sailing there.
There were people sailing at Killington on the Sunday.  Lancaster sea scouts were on Toppers, Sedbergh school were on a Laser 2000, and I made use of the club RS Feva.  The wind was quite strong, enough to bring a couple of wind surfers out, and with quite strong gusts forecast I thought the Feva would be easier to right and continue sailing than the Wayfarer. It certainly zipped along very nicely.

No comments: