Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Garsdale

The Howgill Hills are often beckoning, in view from the M6 and while sailing on Killington lake, but the hills further east, the other side of the Rawthey River have their attraction as well.
It was not very windy on Sunday, so I left Killington, and went past Sedbergh and stopped at the car park at at Tom Croft Hill.  I crossed the river Clough, and made my way up to the triangulation point at Knoutberry Haw, at Garsdale.
I did see someone walking their dog as I set off, and met three people making their ascent on my way down, but apart from that I had the whole hillside to myself.


 

There was a bit of mist or low cloud in the valley, and I had the brightest of the weather on the higher ground.  It was all grassy and slightly boggy at places, with an ill defined path marked out by the path tractors had taken.  The route follows to the side of a well defined stream be called Ringing Keld Gutter.
It was a steady climb. After leaving the valley there is a flatish area called Breaskey Moss, then a steady climb alongside Ringing Keld Gutter, with a short steep section which gives access to a plateau section at the top.   This slopes gently to the North, and I took one or two video clips before making my way down.





On the way down I followed the route of Great Dovecoat Gill, the most southerly of several streams flowing to the west, facing the Howgills on the other side of the river Rawthey.


No comments: