Monday, February 20, 2012

Troutbeck

On Saturday we gave a lift to a friend who said how they enjoyed Kentmere, so I headed there, but as often happens, all the parking spaces by the institute were taken, and I drove back and parked beside the road opposite the mill. Map I took the path that goes through the mill's yard, behind Kentmere Tarn to Kentmere Hall, and then walked up Garburn Pass meeting a few other walkers, but more cyclists, getting as far as the ridge before having to turn back. I was glad to reach the ridge, as I was there again the next day, approaching from the other direction.  On getting back to the village I walked back on the road. At one point I turned back to see an approaching  vehicle, and saw the valley beyond the village was full of weather.   I was glad to have put my waterproof back on for when the hail came.

For all there was hail, it was quite mild, but by six o'clock the temperature had dropped, there was a clear sky, and the stars looked very bright that evening.

On Sunday I did the other half of Garburn Pass, starting from a parking space on the road between the church and the Queen's Head in Troutbeck, past Limefitt caravan park, getting some great views as the track led higher.


Last year's grass has died back to a a reddish brown, giving the valley a beautiful colour in the bright sunlight.
Climbing the southern slopes gives a different view of the valley than you get from the road, on the other side.

.


As you climb higher, you are rewarded with views of Windermere that you do not get to see from down in the valley.


At points the path was quite icy, even in the bright sunshine.


The valley has a flat bottom, while Raven Crag by Kirkstone can be seen in the distance.
On reaching the ridge just past Garburn Nook I took the path that that follows the ridge. It is a great walk, taking in some peaks along the way, The Yoke, Ill Bell, and Froswick. It was a beautifully clear, with impressive views not just over Kentmere to the right, but beyond that to the Howgills, looking quite distinctive in the distance. At one point there was a clear view across to Great Dun Fell, not that I could do justice with my camera.
There was a group of about eight from Manchester just ahead of me, and I caught up with them at different points along the way.  It was comforting seeing them ahead of me showing where the path was. We sat down at a sheltered spot at the Yoke, and I had a bite to eat, but when I got to Ill Bell and Froswick, it was getting too cold and windy to sit and eat.
Of all the peaks, Ill Bell was the steepest clamber to get up to the top, more so from the other direction, which was a careful few steps down for me.

Further along the ridge widens out, and the valley floor is hidden from view


Snow lying on the North facing slopes

Snow capped peaks in the distance

A view looking South at Windermere, with Morecambe Bay in the distance

A frozen pond on the high ground.

A view of Kentmere resevoir

The View to the West

The crags looking down over Kentmere

The path near the Yoke

Another view showing Windermere and Morecambe bay

Looking down over Kentmere. You can pick out the Howgills to the left in the distance

Looking back 
Had I gone on, the path would have forked, with Threshthwaite at the far end of Troutbeck, and the old Roman Road, High Street, to the the right. The path I took down into Troutbeck was the route the Romans used to take up to High Street. It was steep at first, and there was a section with ice and frozen grass which was quite beautiful.
The valley is divided in two by the Tongue. I followed close to Hagg Gill which passes to the South of the Tongue, while Trout Beck runs to the North. The A592 turns out of Troutbeck at that point, so from the road you do not get to see the top end of the valley.  The Tongue always seems curious viewed from the road, but from this end you can see the long gentle rise that gives it its name.
Hagg Gill is a delightful little river, and the walk would be very pleasant with more time to savour it. As it was I rushed as quick as I could, and was still late meeting Ann and she had to wait for me. The path also went past Hall Hill, a very small hill, in Troutbeck park, just before the confluence of Hagg Gill and Troutbeck.
Altogether a Great Day.
On the descent showing the Tongue and Trout Beck

The Rush Grass frozen in Ice

Frozen Grass

A waterfall of icicles

These stones lay at intervals beside the path

No comments: