Monday, October 20, 2008

Sunday Afternoon at Quakers Stang


Quakers Stang is a causeway between relatively normal fields inland, heading towards Leighton Moss, and the grass that gets submerged by the highest of the high tides.
From the car park where bird watchers park to reach the RSPB hides, I walked across and over Healds Brow to reach Silverdale, taking in the rather splendid Woodwell Cliff on the way. Stopping at Wolf House for a cup of coffee on the way, I went round rather than over on the way back, enjoying the coast at Jacks Scout facing to the West, rounding Jenny Brown's point. It gets quite spectacular as the limestone pavement slopes down into the sea. Eventually the path and the road come to an end, and the path home goes round the headland - tides permitting.




After some reassurance from a fellow walker who seemed to know, I stepped out onto the shingle and rocks, and very soon found myself walking on grass, not too close to the edge and avoiding the inlets that cut through quite starkly from time to time. It was a more shallow one of these that lapped around a large stone forming the feature in the photo.
It was turning quite cold and windy at this point. I thought it was just more exposed, but as I got further round and retraced my way across Quakers Stang, I realised that the weather had changed. The wind was strong, and cold, and the rain was hard. I was thankful for the dry, sheltered and peaceful moment I had enjoyed in that little cove where I had sat and eaten my lunch not long before.

No comments: